The Chinese Historical Society of America (CHSA) proudly launches Chinese in the Sunset, a project about the lives of Chinese Americans in San Francisco’s Outer Sunset District.
Chinese in the Sunset illuminates the history of racial restrictions preventing Chinese and other people of color from living in the Sunset, how the 1960’s civil rights movement and subsequent legislation removed the restrictions, how social attitudes changed, and how different perspectives within the community has led the Outer Sunset to become a vibrant community today. We further hope the public will draw parallels with today’s national discussions of immigrant communities.
Chinese in the Sunset will open at the Sunset Recreation Center with community engagement events, continue at CHSA, then will be exhibited in the Main Library to provide access to the broader public and foster understanding of a unique community based on the neighborhood’s own perspective.
Exhibit viewing dates:
- May 25-September 2, 2018: Exhibit on view at CHSA (965 Clay Street)
- May 12, 2018 at San Francisco Public Library, Ortega Branch (3223 Ortega St.)
- May 5-6, 2018 at San Francisco Public Library, North Beach Branch (850 Columbus St.)
- November 19 – December 20, 2017 at the Sunset Recreation Center (2201 Lawton Street)
- November 22 – November 26, 2017 at CHSA (965 Clay Street)
- December 2, 2017 – February 22, 2018 at the San Francisco Public Library, Main Branch 3rd floor (100 Larkin Street) –
Visit sfpl.org for more info
The exhibit was made possible by a grant from Supervisor Katy Tang’s Office and supported by the San Francisco Arts Commission, Grants for the Arts, San Francisco Public Library History Center, UCLA Center for Neighborhood Knowledge, Western Neighborhoods Project, Recreation and Parks Department, and contributions from donors within the Sunset community.
For more details and to RSVP, please visit chsa.org/events.
Press coverage of Chinese in the Sunset
Outside Lands San Francisco (podcast by Western Neighborhoods Project): “Chinese in the Outer Sunset” – Palma You and Steve Haines talk about a project of the Chinese Historical Society of America on Chinese history in the Sunset District. December 30, 2017