The Chinese Historical Society of America announces an exciting new exhibition program for 2013. Following the success of Remnants: Artists Respond to the Chinese American Experience, CHSA has established an ongoing project called Creative Spaces to build on the concept of creating innovative interpretations of personal and community history. With this new project, we are reaching out to our creative community to carry on the spirit of Remnants. We invite artists, designers, curators and educators to submit unique ideas for interpreting and presenting history in our museum.
We are seeking proposals for interpretive art forms that respond, examine and reinvent the objects in our collection and the exhibit space in which they reside. These works may be conceptual installations, innovative museum exhibits, or any unique approach on presenting the Chinese American experience.
How to submit:
Please send the following materials to arrive no later than December 15, 2012
• Proposal describing your work and how it will be integrated into the CHSA Museum (3 pages max.)
• Examples of art work or other creative projects you have been involved with via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Creative Spaces 2013” via post to: Chinese Historical Society, 965 Clay Street, San Francisco, CA 94108
We will select 4-5 proposals, or whatever number will practically fit our budget and timetable. We expect to install all work by mid-February—around the Lunar New Year. A modest budget and artist stipend is available for each work selected.
• Visit Remnants at CHSA. It closes on December 29, 2012. View the gallery below for excerpts from Remnants.
• Check out the coverage of Remnants from various media outlets: https://www.chsa.org/2012/04/20/remnants-press-coverage-photos/
• For more information, contact Amy Lam: email@example.com, 415 391-1188
Artist Workshops for Creative Spaces
CHSA will host 2 artist workshops on November 27 and December 8, 2012for those interested in applying to the Creative Spaces exhibition program. Interested applicants will be provided with information about applying, and a tour of the Remnants exhibition to provide more context about the Creative Spaces program. Attendance at the artist workshops is not required in order to apply for the Creative Spaces program. More details about these workshops will be announced soon at CHSA.org. For more information, please contact Amy Lam at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo Gallery of Remnants 2012