CHSA is proud to make its collection accessible to the general public. Interested students and professionals are encouraged to explore research opportunities by making an appointment with our collections staff.
How to Make an Appointment
All research appointments must be submitted through the CHSA Research Request Form below. If you need help filling out the form, please call us at (415) 391-1188 x 101 and we will assist you. All requests must be made one month before your desired visit in order for staff to make preparations. We will confirm the date and time of your appointment depending on staff availability. We will contact you by phone or email reconfirming your reservations one week ahead of your appointment. Please read the Rules for Researchers before you make your appointment.
CHSA encourages access to our collection to promote the contributions and legacies of the Chinese in America. CHSA seeks to accommodate each researcher’s request while considering staff availability. Please see the fee schedule to view associated costs with accessing the collection.
Fee of $20 per day (5 hours a day maximum) for:
- Undergraduate and graduate students
Fee of $50 per day (5 hours a day maximum) for:
- Researchers from colleges and universities
- Researchers from non-profit institutions
- Self-funded independent researchers
Fee of $90 an hour (5 hours a day maximum) for:
- Employees from government agencies
- Employees from commercial or for-profit organizations
- Requests that require staff to do extensive research prior to a visit may incur additional charges.
- Requests that require extensive time to pull and rehouse objects may incur additional charges.
- Requests that are made less than four (4) weeks in advance will be charged an additional one (1) day fee.
- Cancellations that are less than seven (7) working days notice will be charged a one (1) day fee.
- Separate fees apply for permission and duplication services. Please contact the Registrar about permission requests.
CHSA Collection staff will estimate fees for each visitor. An invoice will be emailed 72 hours after the research request has been submitted. The balance is due one week prior to the visit. Payment can be made by credit card or personal check made out to the “Chinese Historical Society of America.” No refunds will be granted.