The 2010 edition of the Chinese America: History & Perspectives Journal is a special issue focusing on The Hawai‘i Chinese. How have people of Chinese descent fared in the Hawaiian Islands over the past two hundred years? What has become of them? And who exactly are the Hawai‘i Chinese today?
CHSA members can receive an coupon code to download the H&P for FREE. Please contact our membership services at 415-391-1188 x101 or email info @ chsa.org to receive the code. If you have previously downloaded the H&P 2010 edition, you can use the code that CHSA distributed previously to members as the coupon code.
To download the 2010 H&P:
• Click the “Add to cart” button. Then click the “View Cart” button.
• On the next screen, CHSA members can enter the coupon code then click “Apply Coupon.” The price will automatically adjust to zero.
• Click on “Proceed to Checkout.” Fill in your contact information.
• If you are purchasing a digital copy, click on “Proceed to Paypal” and complete your purchase.
• If you added the coupon code, click on “Place order.” The next screen will have a link to download the H&P. You will also receive an email with a download link.
Preface v Franklin Ng Introduction 1 The Hawai‘i Chinese: Their Experience and Identity over Two Centuries David Y. H. Wu and Harry J. Lamley Hawai‘i’s Nam Long 13 Their Background and Identity as a Zhongshan Subgroup Douglas D. L. Chong Merchant Prince 23 Chun Afong in Hawai‘i, 1849–90 Robert Paul Dye Changing Roles and Status among Prominent Chinese in Hawai‘i 37 Clarence E. Glick and Doris L. Glick The Chinese in Hawai‘i 51 Early photographs Douglas D. L. Chong Opium and the Law 61 Hawai‘i, 1856–1900 Lily Lim-Chong and Harry V. Ball Christianity and Dr. Sun Yat-Sen’s Schooling in Hawai‘i, 1879–83 75 Irma Tam Soong A Century of Chinese Christians 87 A Case Study on Cultural Integration in Hawai‘i Carol C. Fan The Chinese Community Press in Hawai‘i 95 Him Mark Lai Ethnicity and Elections in Hawai‘i 105 The Case of James K. Kealoha Michaelyn P. Chou Food and Culture 113 Chinese Restaurants in Hawai‘i Franklin Ng Eating History 123 Chinese American Gastronomy in Hawai‘i Judith M. Kirkendall Contemporary Overseas Chinese Ethnicity in the Pacific Region 133 Edgar Wickberg About the Contributors 143 About the Editorial Committee 145 Guidelines for Manuscript Submission 147 Chinese Historical Society of America Membership Form 149